19/08/2012

Beauty Battle: Black Gel Eyeliners

I remember when I got my first gel eyeliner. I didn't know what to do with it or how to apply it so I decided to youtube search "How to apply gel eyeliner". That was also the day I also discovered Michelle Phan and my life has never been the same ever since. Once you get the hang of it, it is the most easy to apply and can define an eye perfectly. Here's a review of some gel eyeliners i've tried out!
Stila Barbie Loves Stila Smudge Pot in "Little Black Dress", Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in "Black Ink", Maybelline EyeStudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in "Blackest Black", Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Gel CreamLiner in "Brown Eyes"
From left to right: Stila, Bobbi Brown, Physicians Formula and Maybelline
Stila Barbie Loves Stila Smudgepot in "Little Black Dress"
This is perhaps a cheat product because it contains purple specks of glitter and may not be suitable for everyday wear but I wanted to review a smudge pot so here it is. First of all, I want to compliment it on its packaging. The lid is a holographic sticker of Barbie's eye blinking and I found it extraordinary. Secondly, this is a good eyeliner! When it was first swatched on the hand, it looked like it was an overload of glitter but once it's on, it is quite subtle and can be really buildable. A negative is that it is not as black and bold as the others but it is still a wonderful eyeliner. 
Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in "Black Ink"
This product is worth the hype that it has received. It has really good staying power and it doesn't smudge, yet it is easy to apply. The colour is extremely bold and dark and i've read reviews where they said that theirs dried out but mine has stayed strong and moist (i hate that word) for quite some years. I know I'm not supposed to keep makeup for a long time but I don't wear makeup that much and I feel like it's a waste if I have to throw it out. Overall, smashing product! 
 Maybelline EyeStudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in "Blackest Black"
I have done a brief review of this eyeliner in my Current Favourite Beauty Items and I stand tall to what i've previously said about this product. However, a recent disappointment of this product is that it dried out within three months of purchase. I am unsure whether that is the standard time for a product to dry out but I was quite disappointed as I didn't use it too much beforehand. I still use it but it's a lot harder to apply and has a more matte texture now. 
 Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Gel CreamLiner in "Brown Eyes"
This eyeliner came in a set with black, purple and brown eyeliner that is meant to be created to be complimentary for brown eyes but I believe anyone can wear these colour eyeliners. I got the set for $10AUD so it was quite good value for eyeliners! This product is quite comparable to the Bobbi Brown eyeliner. It is super long lasting and pigmented. It comes with a brush that I will not recommend using, but it is a must buy!

Overall, I am thankful for Michelle Phan and my mother for buying me my first gel eyeliner. Everyone needs to start using gel eyeliners because they will blow your mind! 
My Favourite Eyeliner Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Gel CreamLiner in "Brown Eyes" because I believe it is good value and the formulation is very impressive and suitable for people who have oily eyelids like me.
My Least Favourite Eyeliner Maybelline EyeStudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in "Blackest Black" I know that this has been a previous favourite, and it is still is but it is just my least favourite out of my gel eyeliners. If you want a decent priced eyeliner from the drugstores and you can't get your hands on the Physicians Formula eyeliner, then I would definitely recommend this eyeliner because it isn't too bad. 

I hope this post was informative and that you have a lovely end to your weekend. I have school tomorrow and a pile of homework to conquer so goodbye fellow readers! 

5 comments:

  1. your reviews are very nice and the products, too <3 your blog is very interesting. maybe we can follow each other if you like :))

    xx
    beauthi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried any of these eyeliners. I have a MAC fluidline and an Inglot gel eye liner. I think I will have to try the Physicians Formula set when my current ones run out.

    Laura
    www.whitewintersblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post! Your blog is lovely by the way! xx

    myprettymummy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always difficult to search for good eyeliner!:) Thanks for the post:)))


    xoxo


    www.fussylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. really great post, you should also try out the elf gel liners they are great!
    now following, follow back if you like !

    farawawyandoverseas.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete